First GradeTeacher: Mrs. Cassidy
Phone: (916)331-7377 ext. 3216
FIRST GRADE - YEARLY GOALS
- Positive Action for Christ, Enjoying God’s Giftso Creation, Noah, Abraham, Jacob, Jesus’ birth, lessons of Jesus, Jesus’ death and Resurrection, Samuel, David, Elijah
II. Reading – A Beka
- A Handbook for Reading
- Fun with Pets
- Stepping Stones
- Secrets and Surprises
- The Bridge Book
- Animals in the Great Outdoors
- Kind and Brave
- Aesop’s Fables
- Strong and True
- Down by the Sea
III. Letters and Sounds – A Beka, Letters and Sounds 1
- Mark vowels and special sounds
- Identify root words, suffix, syllables, opposites, rhyming words
IV.Language – A Beka, Language 1
- Match word with picture
- Write complete sentences
- Capitalization rules
- Punctuation rules
- Correct word usage
- Short stories
- Creative writing
V. Math – Saxon, Saxon Math 1
- Writing numbers
- Addition/Subtraction of single and double digits
- Number patterns
- Counting pennies, nickels, dimes, quarters
- Time to hour, half hour, five minute intervals
- Measuring in inches and centimeters
- Fractions of one half and one fourth
VI. Penmanship – A Beka, Writing with Phonics 1
- Letter formation
- Proper letter size
- Proper paper and pencil position
VII.Spelling – A Beka, Spelling and Poetry 1
- Weekly spelling list starting with ten words a week and increasing to fifteen words
VIII. History – A Beka, My America and My World
- My America: America’s flag, freedoms, symbols, people
- America grows, talks, travels
- America is Beautiful
- America Sings
- My World: various countries around the world
IX.Science – A Beka, Discovering God’s World
- Five senses
- Simple machines: wheels, ramps, levers
- Animals: baby animals, elephant, duck, turtle, owl
- Plants: flowers, seeds, fruit, roots, stem, leaves
X. Health – A Beka, Health, Safety and Manners 1
- Growth and habits
- Exercise and rest
- Care of eyes, skin, nose, teeth
- Safety at home, on the street, on the playground, in water
- Manners at home, school, church, in public places
XI. Physical Education
- Organized outdoor games and exercise
XIII. Art – Crafts and projects in class
- Coloring, cutting, pasting, painting and various other media
XIV. Music – with school music teacher (participation in school musicals)
XV. Field Trips
- Explore It Science Center
- Musical Play
- End of Year Swim Party at local swim club
I. Bible Memory
- Every Monday a Bible Memory Verse will be assigned. It must be recited by Friday.
- Homework papers will be Tuesday and Thursday. Homework assigned will be due the following day
- Addition and subtraction facts will also be assigned for memorization.
- Every Monday we will begin a new spelling list. Words are to be written three times each and turned in Tuesday. Trial tests will be given on Thursday and final tests will be given on Friday.
- Reading homework will be assigned on a Reading Assignment Sheet and will be on Monday, Tuesday, and Thursday.
Grading (for report card)
- Weekly memory verses and reverence during chapel.
- Addition/subtraction facts, computing, concepts, and word problems.
- Weekly spelling test.
- Fluent reading, knowledge of vowels, blends, and word attack skills.
- Writes sentences, correct punctuation and capitalization.
- Correct letter formation and neatness.
- Attention and participation in class.
- Attention and participation in class.
- Attention and participation.
- Rated by Dr. Muntean.
- Effort and neatness.
- Respect others, courteous, obedient, cooperative.
- Attentiveness, listens, uses time wisely, completes homework, participates in class, and is neat and orderly.
Click Here For PDF
Second Grade School Supply List [ link here ]
- 3-7 — NO Daycare
- 10 — Summer Camp Session 1
- 24 — Summer Camp Session 2
- 8 — Summer Camp Session 3
- 9 – 12 — Piano Camp (LINK HERE)
- 16 – 19 — Praise Band Camp (LINK HERE)
- 22 — Summer Camp Session 4
- 23 – 26 — Music Camp (LINK HERE)
2019 – 2020 Important School Dates to Remember
|Orientation Night||Mon., Aug. 12|
|First Day of School||Wed., Aug. 14|
|Labor Day – no school||Mon., Sep. 2|
|Veterans Day – no school||Mon., Nov. 11|
|Thanksgiving Week – no school||Nov. 25 – 29|
|Christmas Break – no school||Dec. 20 – Jan. 5|
|MLK Jr. Day – no school||Mon., Jan. 20|
|President’s Day – no school||Mon., Feb 17|
|Easter Break – no school||Apr. 13 – 17|
|Memorial Day – no school||Mon., May 25|
|Last Day of School||Thur., May 28|